Thursday, April 19, 2007

All Good Things Must End

We can finally say Bye, bye to Sanjaya! And not a moment too soon.

You know, there for a while, I have to admit that I was somewhat intrigued by Sanjaya. What kind of hair will he be sporting next? What song will he butcher this week? It was kind of like watching karaoke. It was so bad that it was entertaining.

Thinking back, it kind of reminds me of something that happened (a long time ago!) when Scott and I were involved in a young couples social group.

Each month, a different couple was responsible for planning and hosting a social event. One couple (and, Krisha, if you're reading this, you can attest to the truth of it) decided to host the event in the banquet hall of a retirement community. I'm not kidding! And if that wasn't bad enough, the entertainment was some old geezer playing an accordion! Again, no joke.

For the first few minutes, we got a few good laughs over the absurdity of the situation. A bunch of 20-something couples eating pure'ed veggies at an old folks' home on a Saturday night while listening to the polka being pounded out on a giant accordion!

But, like with Sanjaya, it quickly became irritating. To this day, whenever Scott does the polka, I have scary flashbacks. I fear the same now whenever I hear the country music singer (huh?) Bonnie Raitt. I'm sure I'll have scary flashbacks of Sanjaya's fingernails-on-a-blackboard performance.

Thanks for giving us Something to Talk About, Sanjaya. But, more thanks for making the next few Tuesday nights a little more bearable!

No comments: