Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Who Am I, Anyway?

I received in the mail yesterday a copy of my first grade transcripts. That's right - first grade. I haven't thought about Mrs. Best in a long time, but thanks to my quest to get a New Jersey driver's license, memories of Mrs. Best and her beehive hairdo are fresh on my mind once again. (Okay, maybe not fresh, but I do remember her name and her hair.)

I'll take partial blame for this. For whatever reasons, I never had the name on my social security card changed when I got married. This hasn't been an issue up until now, though, because I have a U.S. passport with my married name.

Flash back a few months ago. After a grueling 3 hour wait, Isaac in to tow, I was told that I couldn't get a NJ driver's license because the name on my social security card didn't match my other documents (passport, marriage & birth certificates and more). This after sitting for hours next to a clearly unstable man who talked out of his head, rocked back and forth, and muttered, "I'm doing fine. I'm being very patient. How am I doing? I'm doing good..." the whole time. You probably think I'm exaggerating, and considering the fact that I'll be sharing the roads with this nut, I wish I was. But I'm not. So, while I get rejected, he gets his license to drive off over the cuckoo's nest.

I won't bore you with the details of my experiences with the social security administration, (2 more trips and 2 more rejections), but I am now armed with my first grade transcripts. Who can stop me now? And all this in an effort to curb identity theft. Sheesh! It would be easier for me to steal my own identity. You know, on second thought...

No comments: