Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Magically Delicious

Have you ever written an email, pressed send, and immediately regretted it? When Katherine's teacher sent out a request for someone to bake Irish Soda Bread for their St. Patrick's Day celebration at school, I replied that I would be happy to contribute if he really needed me (meaning, don't call on me). I immediately had second thoughts 'cause I don't know nuthin 'bout baking no Soda Bread! So I held my breath and waited...but the luck of the Irish wasn't with me.

After searching the internet, I found a recipe that was supposed to be authentic, and sounded easy enough to try. So, I tested it today, and it actually came out really good! It has a really rustic and homemade look, and the taste is different, but good. I'm going to bake it again on St. Patrick's Day with a big pot of Irish Stew. It's so easy, I'm including the recipe in case you want to try it for yourself. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can!

Irish Soda Bread

  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups raisins, optional but traditionally included
  • 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
  • 1 cup sour cream
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch round cast iron skillet or a 9 inch round baking or cake pan (one with high sides).
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins and caraway seeds. In a small bowl, blend eggs, buttermilk and sour cream. Stir the liquid mixture into flour mixture just until flour is moistened. You're supposed to knead the dough about 10 to 12 strokes, but the dough was too sticky, so I just put in in the pan and patted it down with floured hands. Using a floured knife or scissors, cut a 4x3/4 inch deep slit in the top of the bread. (This was also hard to do with the sticky dough, but I did the best I could.)
  3. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 45-50 minutes. Brush the top of the warm bread with butter. Let cool and turn bread onto a wire rack. Enjoy!

No comments: