Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A Lot of Baggage

I spent most of the day yesterday packing for our trip to Alabama. Considering the trip will include lots of play time in the country and then a trip to the beach, I was feeling pretty good when I was finally able to fit all of the kids' stuff into one large suitcase. That good feeling didn't last long. Scott comes home and says, "That's good. That leaves an overnight bag for you and another for me and we're set." Whoa. Back up mister. We're spending 9 days away from home. I couldn't fit my shoes in an overnight bag. "Oh, no", I say. "Oh, yes", he says. "One large bag, two carry-ons, Isaac's carseat, Isaac and his stroller, Dylan, Katherine and their backpacks. That's our limit. We can't take anything else. We've got to make it from the car to check in. We can't handle any more."

"Why can't you just pull up to the curb and let one of those men help us?"

To this, I just get the look. Oh, that's right. Scott doesn't do airport assistance. That's one of those taboo guy things. Something akin to stopping and asking for directions when you're hopelessly lost.

So, that's that. I'll spend today taking everything back out of that large suitcase and repacking again. On the next trip, I think I'll send a crate ahead of us.

No comments: