Monday, June 2, 2008

One Scary Night

In the course of about 2 hours last night, it seemed like we were moving from catastrophe to catastrophe.At about 5:30 pm, we decided to walk to the park near our home before throwing supper on the grill. I put some potatoes in the oven to bake, and we headed out.

We got to the park, and Dylan's friend, Julia, was there with her family. As we watched Isaac and Julia's baby brother play on the slides, Dylan, Katherine and Julia went down to the creek to explore. After a while, we started calling the girls, but they didn't come.

By this time, I needed to check on the potatoes and so I started back.Halfway home, I heard a huge crash - then silence - then Isaac screaming and crying. I ran back to the park to find that a huge limb had fallen just in front of the bench where Scott and Julia's dad had been sitting. Scott had leaned over Isaac when it started falling, and it hit him on the back, possibly saving Isaac's life.

Eventually, I headed back home again, and Scott finally came up with the girls, who had gotten lost in the woods and were scared and dirty - and covered with ticks. So I sent both girls up to shower.I went outside to help Scott with the meat since he was black and blue and still bleeding. When I came in, water was pouring into the kitchen floor from the bathroom upstairs, which had flooded because Dylan hadn't put the shower curtain liner inside the bathtub.

When we finally sat down to eat, Isaac finished early and started running around. He tripped on the dryer we were using to dry the ceiling and it fell on his head. So, I scooped him up to check on him, and, out of nowhere, I became violently ill. I literally ran to the bathroom and started throwing up. I know - too much information. But I'm just stating the facts.

At the end of the day, I was just happy that everyone was alive and semi-well. And today, I'm hoping for nothing more than a quiet, boring, and uneventful day.

No comments: