Monday, September 17, 2007

Friday Fun

I'm not a morning person, so fixing Dylan's hair Friday morning for picture day was a less-than-enjoyable experience. I had to fix it while she ate breakfast because we didn't have an extra 4 minutes to spare. And considering that I was functioning on only one cup of coffee at the time, I thought Dylan should have been grateful that I didn't burn one of her ears off with the hair iron.

But she just looked in the mirror and said, in a very disappointed tone, "Oh, I thought it was gonna look different. I wanted it just like is was in last year's picture."

But when she burst through the door that afternoon, she very cheerfully announced, "Today wasn't picture day! It's next Friday!! And I want you to fix my hair exactly the same way next week!!!

A few minutes later, I walked down to meet Katherine at the bus stop. I waited for the bus. And I watched as the bus approached. And I watched as the bus drove past me without slowing. I watched Katherine press both hands against the window. I yelled at her to tell the driver to stop, but she only stared back with the same look you would expect from someone stuck on a runaway train.

At first I wasn't too concerned. I fully expected the bus to be back in about 30 seconds. I didn't know Katherine would stay on another 15 minutes before getting up the nerve to tell the driver that he'd missed her stop!

I wish I could say that Isaac was my easy child.

No comments: