Saturday, January 12, 2008

Uninvited Guest



We have been enjoying the warm weather we've had this week. Until this guy showed up.

This giant bird, a Great Blue Heron, made an appearance at our house a week ago. I spotted him near our fishpond, but I wasn't concerned for the fish. They were safely tucked under several inches of ice. But when the weather turned warm, and the ice melted, he paid us another visit. And he brought his Great Big Appetite with him.

In one day, he ate 10 of our fish! The girls were mortified - They think of these fish as pets. I was mortified - Those fish cost about $30 a piece. (Not that I don't like the fish. Of all the living beings around our house, including the people, the fish are definately the most pleasant to deal with.)

So, in the middle of pouring rain, I did what I had to do to protect the remaining fish. I covered the pond with anything I could find that would reach across it, including 2 step ladders, a sled, and a piece of plyboard. When I was through, it looked like Fred Samford had wrecked his truck in our front yard. But at least the fish would be safe. If that big bird did find a way in, I was confident he wouldn't find a way back out.

When Scott arrived home from his week long trip to California, he surveyed the situation, made a trip to the local coop, and purchased a wire net to cover the pond. I have to admit, his solution was more pleasing to the eye. But I think I deserve extra points for using materials on hand.

No comments: