Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Doing Time

The most interesting thing that has happened in my day so far would have to be the 45 minutes I spent locked in our basement this morning.


It all happened when I ran down to get something from the pantry and closed the door so that Isaac wouldn't follow me. When I heard him calling me and fidgeting with the doorknob, I thought he was just trying to open the door. But when I tried to open it, it was locked.

So, there I was. With very limited options. I could...

a. wait 5 hours for Dylan to get home from school;
b. try to fit through a 12 x 18 inch window;
c. use the phone in the basement to call 911; or
d. coax Isaac into unlocking the door.


Wanting to avoid public humiliation, I opted for the last option. So, for 45 minutes I begged, pleaded, bargained and bribed to the best of my ability. But, as he walked away for about the 10th time yelling, "I'm watching Elmo!", I was just about to give up when he finally turned the button.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I was thinking he had accidentally turned the lock. But the first thing he did when he saw me was to laugh out loud and say, as plainly as a 2 year old could, "Ei-tick wocked de doe!"

No comments: