Sunday, January 11, 2009

Going From Bad To Worse

I have to tell about my trip to the dentist yesterday.

It was bad enough having to start the day off at 8:00 a.m. to get fitted for my first crown. Yuck. But, in a million years, I never imagined myself being stuck in the dentist chair while my dentist chased her assistant around the office.

It all started when the assistant, Sharon, refused, for some reason or another, to come into the room to assist. I had already received one shot, so my dentist left me lying there with a 200,000 volt spotlight in my eyes to go and have a little chat with Sharon. The little chat escalated into an all out shouting match which resulted in the dentist actually chasing her assistant around the office yelling, "You're fired!" and "Get out!" Sharon continued to run...and the dentist continued to chase. This went on for about 30 minutes and didn't end until the police were called.


Why I stayed there in that chair, I can't really say. I debated whether I should get up and run out myself, but I kept thinking about how I'd already had that shot, and if I came back later, we'd have to start all over again. Plus, I had already paid for the crown. So I waited it out. On my back. With my now diminished eyesight. And when the dentist finally came back to me, I knew it wasn't going to be good.


You can imagine what frame of mind she was in at this point. Had I thought things through better, I would have thought about that as well. And, since she had lost her assistant, she was doing everything herself. She took some kind of hook and used it to attach my lip to the light... and then she proceeded to drill on my teeth. Taking out all her frustrations of the morning on my mouth, bits of teeth - my teeth - were flying. (Remember, there was no one there with that little vacuum thingy.) I don't know what was worse - having my lip stretched out and twisted around behind my head while I endured her various forms of torture, or the fear of disgruntled Sharon going postal and coming back for another round.


Needless to say, I am now shopping around for a new dentist. And a mental health professional to go with me.

3 comments:

Mommy, Esq. said...

Sounds like you need a lawyer.

Cindy said...

I've wondered...Know a good one?

Unknown said...

Angie told me I should read your latest posting. You really do a great job with this blog. It makes us feel like we are there with you. Happy new year and we may forgive you yet for passing us by on the recent trip to the heart of the south.


RTH