Thursday, March 13, 2008

Five Painted Piggies

One of the benefits of living in New Jersey is that spring comes later. I can put off thinking about swimsuit season for at least another 2 months. And since my response to dealing with the cold weather has been to put on an extra 3 layers (and I'm not talking about clothing), I'm fine with that.

But, it dawned on me today that I should address another issue before I bring out the flip-flops. The fact that I'm walking around with painted toenails on only one foot.

You see, Katherine, our one nurturing child, decided that she would lift my spirits last weekend with a visit to her "spa". So I received a very formal invitation to visit her in her bedroom at 4:15 p.m.

Since this is the closest thing to a spa treatment I've seen in years, I was actually looking forward to some pampering, meaning I could leave Isaac downstairs with Scott.

But, after only about 15 minutes, Dylan comes in reporting that, "Daddy needs you - it's an emergency!"

Of course.

"Is anyone hurt?"

"No."

"Then it's not an emergency."

"Yes, it is. He's flooding the sun room."

Of course.

So, with (only 5) wet toenails adding an extra wobble to my hobble, I slowly make my way downstairs. Not too concerned, though. Dylan has been known to exaggerate.

But, when I arrive at the sun room. I see that she wasn't exaggerating and that Scott had broken a faucet while draining the hot tub and was, indeed, flooding the sun room.

Of course.

So we dealt with yet another chaotic moment, and now, almost a week later, I still haven't found time to deal with that other foot. But at least, in New Jersey, it's still boot weather!

No comments: