Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Preschool Chronicles

When I picked Isaac up from preschool today, I noticed a little boy from his class crying as he walked out with his mom. When Isaac came out, I inquired about why Luke was crying.


"He's crying because he didn't get a treat from the goodie box for being nice."

Naturally, my next question was, "Did you get a treat from the goodie box?"

In a nonchalant voice, he answered, "No. Me and Luke and Lucas didn't get treats because we were playing."

So I attempted to correct him by saying, "You need to be a better listener."

He emphatically replied, "I was a good listener. I heard everything the teacher said. I just didn't do it."

I stand corrected.

This experience of teaching Isaac to behave has been an interesting journey, especially this week.

Yesterday, I was preparing him for a play date at his friend's house. Before dropping him off, I reminded him to play the things Cooper wanted to play. (Translation: Don't beg, from the moment you walk through the door, to play Super Mario Galaxy because you are completely obsessed with Mario and that's all you want to play.)

I specifically said, "Do not ask to play Mario. You can play it if he asks you. But DO NOT ASK HIM."

When I picked him up from the play date:

Me: Did you play Mario?

Isaac: Yes.

Me: Did you ask to play Mario?

Isaac: No. I told Cooper he needed to ask me if I wanted to play Mario. So, he asked. And I said, Yes.

Again, I stand corrected.

Of course, he corrected me on Monday, as well, when he told be that it wasn't "appropriate" for me to put him in time out because it hurts his feelings.

Methinks he has a little of his daddy in him. What do you think?

3 comments:

Julie said...

Oh no. He's going to be a lawyer. Do something quick.

Jennifer Werneth said...

i'm glad you're writing down all of this down! you'll be able to instruct his wife to simply smile and say "yes, dear." too, too funny!

April Brown said...

Oh Cindy...I needed a good laugh today :) Thank you!