Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Kat (Not) in the Hat









Oh, the joy of school assignments. By the time I get through three kids' worth of these, I think I deserve at least one more college degree.

For her latest assignment, Katherine was to choose a biographical character to study and immerse herself in all the details of this person's life. She corresponded with a pen pal, writing as her character, and then participated in a live "wax museum" where she and the other students would pose as their characters while parents and guests would come to observe them.

Katherine chose Julia Morgan, the turn-of-the-century female architect from San Francisco. My part in the project was to help her pull together her outfit for the wax museum. It wasn't a problem getting together the clothing, but we had to come up with a Victorian style hat to complete it. We raided the holiday decoration closet, the gift wrapping box, and the pantry for materials. Then, with the help of scissors, paint and a glue gun, we were able to transform a paper plate and bowl into what I thought was a pretty darn good replica of a Victorian hat. I'm not sure how many hours it took in all, but we were happy with the end results.

On the day of the big exhibit, I knew I would be able to spot Katherine because of the hat. But I couldn't find her anywhere. There was a girl who vaguely resembled our Katherine, but she wasn't even wearing a hat. But, wait. What was that thing this girl was holding in her lap that looked a whole lot like that hat that I spent all that time making? I couldn't believe, after all my hard work, she wasn't even wearing the blame thing. I started motioning and whispering for her to put the thing on her head. But, since she was a wax figure, she ignored all my attempts to get her to move. I mean, she should seriously consider guarding Buckingham Palace. I could have jumped up and down on that hat in her lap and she wouldn't have budged.

At home, later that afternoon, I made her pose with it on her head so that I would have at least one picture. Such an injustice.

No comments: